Friday, March 20, 2009

Vernal Equinox

Today, at 11:44, Greenwich Mean Time, the Sun reached the point where the ecliptic (the Sun's apparent path in the sky) and the celestial equator (the projection of the Earth's equator outward into space) intersect. Today, the Earth's axis is perpendicular to the sun's rays, and we have a roughly (though not exactly) equal period of daylight and darkness.

In other words: Spring is finally here!

The year's at the spring,
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn;
God's in his Heaven -
All's right with the world!

-- Robert Browning, from Pippa Passes

2 comments:

  1. There are many days that I find myself nearly overwhelmed by my daily struggles at home and at work. But with God's many graces and the wonderful humor and insight of people like you via this wonderful blog, I can make it. And by the way, thanks for helping me remember to turn to Our Lady of Victory - I pray to her daily now because I found this blog and she has become a newfound strength. Thank you, keep up the great work and God bless - you're in our prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep Up the Grand Work Of Evangelisation, Anita:

    I have just written on a Subject about Married Priests and why I oppose a Married Latin Rite Catholic Clergy.

    ReplyDelete