Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Forgotten Prayers: The Anima Christi

This Eucharistic prayer, mistakenly attributed to St. Ignatius Loyola but possibly composed by Pope John XXII, goes back to the early 14th century.

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within Thy wounds hide me;
Separated from Thee let me never be.
From the malicious enemy defend me;
In the hour of my death call me,
And bid me come unto Thee,
That with thy saints I may praise Thee
Forever and ever.
Amen.

Here it is in Latin:

Anima Christi, sanctifica me.
Corpus Christi, salva me.
Sanguis Christi, inebria me.
Aqua lateris Christi, lava me.
Passio Christi, conforta me.
O bone Jesu, exaudi me.
Intra tua vulnera absconde me.
Ne permittas me separari a te.
Ab hoste maligno defende me.
In hora mortis meae voca me.
Et iube me venire ad te,
Ut cum Sanctis tuis laudem te.
In saecula saeculorum.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I keep trying to memorize that prayer, but haven't yet. I do have it on a card on my visor in my car - I just keep forgetting to bring it to Mass with me! Maybe I should place it in my Missal. That would work!

    ReplyDelete