Wednesday, October 01, 2008

October 1: Feast of the Little Flower

My grandmother had a devotion to the Little Flower. When my mother was a little girl, Nana hung a big, beautiful picture of the Little Flower in her bedroom. When I was little, I would sometimes stay in that bedroom, and I would stare endlessly at that picture. After my grandmother died, it was lost for years. After I moved to Idaho, it turned up and came into my hands. It hangs now over my mantelpiece. (The above picture isn't it. My picture is a print of a painting. I haven't found the exact picture on the Internet, and I broke my digital camera. Maybe I can persuade The Redoubtable One to bring his ever-active camera over and photograph it for me.)

Novena to Saint Therese of the Child Jesus

O Little Therese of the Child Jesus, please pick for me a rose from the heavenly gardens and send it to me as a message of love. O Little Flower of Jesus, ask God today to grant the favors I now place with confidence in your hands... (mention specific request). Saint Therese, help me to always believe as you did, in God's great love for me, so that I might imitate your "Little Way" each day. Amen.


Oh! no, you will see...it will be like a shower of roses. After my death, you will go to the mail box, and you will find many consolations.

-- Saint Therese on June 9, 1897 after Sister Marie of the Sacred Heart told her she would be very sorry after she died

I can attest to this. When I ask the Little Flower for her intercession, and she gets God to grant my prayer, she always sends me roses -- usually in huge quantities. (If the answer is no, the roses disappear.) The last huge favor I asked for, I also asked for a sign of yellow roses if the answer was yes. And got them. Continuously. And then received what I asked for.

St. Therese is a powerful friend. Take your toughest problems to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment