Monday, March 04, 2013

Truths about Peter

Tu Es Petrus: one of the beautiful stained-glass windows of St. John's Cathedral, Boise, Idaho.

Now that the papacy is so much in the minds of Catholics and non-Catholics alike, now seems like a good time to reflect on its importance.  I therefore draw attention to a couple of classics in this space where we consider the prerogatives and responsibilities of the Petrine Office, and the charism of infallibility:



And now, one of my favorite passages from the Gospel, Matthew 16:18-19.  I especially love it in Latin:


Et ego dico tibi quia tu es Petrus et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam et portae inferi non praevalebunt adversum eam. Et tibi dabo claves regni caelorum et quodcumque ligaveris super terram erit ligatum in caelis et quodcumque solveris super terram erit solutum in caelis.

And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment