Thursday, October 02, 2008

October 2: Feast of the Guardian Angels

For those of you who are skeptical about guardian angels, I give you Psalm 91:11-12:
For He will give His angels charge of you to guard you in all your ways. On their hands they will bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.
And then there is Matthew 18:10:
See that you do not despise one of these little ones; for I tell you that in heaven their angels always behold the face of My Father who is in heaven.
And if you have a problem with people addressing themselves to the angels, consider Psalm 103 in which, if you pray it, you do just that in verses 20-21:
Bless the LORD, O you His angels, you mighty ones who do His word, hearkening to the voice of His word! Bless the LORD, all His hosts, His ministers that do His will!
If you object to the idea of taking counsel with the angels, then consider Exodus 23:20-22 -- which also tells us Whom it is we are really taking counsel with:
Behold, I send an angel before you, to guard you on the way and to bring you to the place which I have prepared. Give heed to him and hearken to his voice, do not rebel against him, for he will not pardon your transgression; for my name is in him. But if you hearken attentively to his voice and do all that I say, then I will be an enemy to your enemies and an adversary to your adversaries.
And so, herewith:

The Litany of the Guardian Angel

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy. Christ, hear us.
Christ, graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven,
have mercy on us.
God the Son, Redeemer of the world,
have mercy on us.
God the Holy Spirit,
have mercy on us.
Holy Trinity, One God
have mercy on us.

Holy Mary, Queen of Heaven, pray for us.
Holy Angel, my Guardian...
Holy Angel, my Protector in all dangers...
Holy Angel, my Defense in all afflictions...
Holy Angel, my most faithful Lover...
Holy Angel, my Preceptor...
Holy Angel, my Guide...
Holy Angel, Witness of all my actions...
Holy Angel, my Helper in all my difficulties...
Holy Angel, my Negotiator with God...
Holy Angel, my Advocate...
Holy Angel, lover of Chastity...
Holy Angel, lover of Innocence...
Holy Angel most obedient to God...
Holy Angel, Director of my soul...
Holy Angel, model of Purity...
Holy Angel, model of Docility...
Holy Angel, my Counselor in doubt...
Holy Angel, my Guardian through life...
Holy Angel, my shield at the hour of Death...

Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, spare us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, graciously hear us, O Lord.
Lamb of God, Who takes away the sins of the world, have mercy on us.

Let Us Pray.

O God, Who with unspeakable providence vouchsafe to send Thy Angels to be our Guardians, mercifully grant, that we, Thy supplicants, may be always defended by their protection and enjoy their eternal society, through Jesus Christ, Thy Son, Our Lord, Who lives and reigns with You, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, One God, world without end. Amen.

Angel of God, my Guardian Dear, to whom His love commits me here, ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule, and to guide. Amen.

1 comment: